WHY DOES SCANNING FEET SAVE LIVES?
- Problem: Of the estimated 537 million people worldwide who have diabetes, up to 34% will develop a diabetic foot ulcer (DFU) in their lifetime, nearly half of whom will die within 5 years – many as a result of amputations.
- Solution: Regular thermal assessments of patients’ feet could reduce diabetic foot ulcers by up to 75%, according to published research.
- Additional Health System Benefits:
- The number of people admitted to hospital with a foot complication could be reduced by 52%.
- Those going to A&E with a foot-related issue could be reduced by up to 40%.
- The number of outpatients with a foot problem could also decrease by 25%.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
⮞ Informing Treatment
The imagery obtained from the Podium System informs treatment plans
and subsequent steps, such as the incorporation of orthotics.
It provides additional evidence, facilitating a faster treatment pathway and ensuring optimal patient care.
⮞ Detecting Vascular Deficiencies
Conversely, areas exhibiting unusual coldness can indicate vascular deficiencies,
such as peripheral arterial disease (PAD), micro and macro angiopathy.
Identifying these deficiencies is vital for implementing appropriate treatments and managing vascular health effectively.
⮞ Identifying Inflammation and Infections
Increases in temperature can signify inflammation or infection
resulting from pathologies such as diabetic foot ulcers, acute Charcot or musculoskeletal trauma.
Recognising these anomalies early enables timely intervention, preventing the progression of conditions and reducing complications.
⮞ Establishing a Baseline through Regular Scanning
The Podium System employs regular scanning to develop a baseline for foot health,
leveraging advanced thermography technology.
This baseline is useful for monitoring changes and identifying abnormalities in foot
temperature, which can be indicative of underlying health problems.
⮞ Monitoring Treatment Effectiveness
Continued scanning ensures that the treatment the patient receives is delivering the desired positive outcomes.
⮞ Preventing Reoccurrence
Patients in remission are highly susceptible to the recurrence of foot problems.
Consistent monitoring with Podium, post-healing, serves as a warning system, triggering early-stage preventative interventions.
WE ARE HERE TO SUPPORT YOU
“Using the Podium Professional in the clinic has meant that some of our patients have successfully
avoided their condition developing to surgical intervention! Scanning feet really does save lives.”
- Dr Neil Moncreiff,
Podiatrist & Owner of Bermuda Podiatry Centre
“Podium hones your attention and skill into an area that may not be so obvious to the naked eye.”
- Alannah Andrews,
“Podium helps you see their pain”
- Carl Morris,
- Dr Gautam Das,
Ashford St Peters NHS Trust
Ⓒ 2020- by Thermetrix Ltd.
- Registered Office at Ty Menter, Navigation Park, Suite F12,
- Abercynon, CF45 4SN
- Company Number: 10053017